Saturday, June 1, 2013

Snow Miku: Then and Now

I'm somewhat a big vocaloid fan and I like listening to their songs, especially Kagamine Rin and Len. There are many companies that make figurines based of them and my favorite ones are Nendoroids. If you don't know what Nenoroid is, it is created by Good Smile Company, and the characters are made into chibi size figurines where you can pose them.

So in early March, Good Smile Company announced that they were taking pre-sales of Snow Miku 2013 Nendoroid. Each year, they hold different contest design for people to create a Snow Miku.

The first Snow Miku that ever came out was in 2010. The design she had was similar to her original attire, except they changed everything to blue and added snow flakes. I remember seeing it originally and thought it was super adorable~

Original Snow Miku from 2010 (Photo from Good Smile Company)


In 2011, they redesigned the Snow miku and added more features. The color scheme became more metallic, though her entire attire is still similar to the 2010 one. I like her accessories such as the mittens, ear muffs, and scarf. 

Snow Miku: Snow Playtime Edition from 2011 (Photo from Good Smile Company)

Starting in 2012, they had a design competition for Snow Miku and this is the winning design for that year. Her entire attire has changed though her hair still remained the same. I really loved this design when I first saw it! But by the time I saw the announcement on Good Smile, I was no longer able to pre-order it anymore.

The winning design (Image from online)



Snow Miku: Fluffy Coat Version from 2012 (Photo from Good Smile Company)

For 2013, the entire outfit of Miku's changed completely. I know some people were really sad that it did not follow the traditional blue shade outfit or hair, though I think the change was really cute. The winning design consisted of Miku in a kimono. I remember first time seeing it online and knew I had to get my hands on it. It is very beautiful and really elegant. The original design may seem a bit plain but I thought the nendoroid was really amazing!
The winning design (Image from Alafista)


Snow Miku: Strawberry White Kimono Version from 2013 (Photo from Good Smile Company)

Isn't it elegant? I really love her hair style! I think for me, the main thing was that this Nendoroid is completely different from the other Miku Nendoroid designs. I'm so happy I was able to pre-order one! Crossing my hands now that this thing will be successfully delivered from Japan to America in June-July. 

Also you can take her 'hat' off. I really like this pose because it looks so Japanese and reminds me of the New Years a lot!

For those of you that are wondering, the winning Snow Miku design for 2014 have already been chose. I think the design is super adorable too! I seriously cannot wait till the Nendoroid comes out! This time they even have another contest for the winning animal!


She's like a school girl magical witch. I really love all the small details that the artist put into this drawing. If you are interested in the future to design a Snow Miku, here is the link to the official website. I believe contest starts in January of each new year and ends in early May.

No comments:

Post a Comment